How do I get my coffee shop on google maps?
This is a common question that I have been asked a number of times so I thought it needed a simple answer. The first thing to say is asking “How do I get my coffee shop on google maps?” is a great question!
Google maps is huge! Over one billion people use it and over 80% of them conduct “location based search” – that means they’re searching for things like “Great coffee shop near me”. Of course, you want your coffee shop to appear on those searches. But how do you get there?
Really then, the question isn’t just “How do I get my coffee shop on google maps?” It’s “How do I get my coffee shop to appear at the top of searches on google maps?”
Well, there are two steps: 1) Get your shop listed on maps and 2) optimise your listing to appear at the top of relevant, local searches.
Step 1: How do I get my coffee shop on google maps?
Fortunately this is very simple. All you have to do is open Google maps and enter your coffee shop’s address. Then, in the menu that appears on the left click the button titled “add a missing place”:
Once you’ve done this you can add some details. Then you need to claim your listing:
Once you click “Claim this business” you’ll need to enter a few details and then Google will send you a postcard, in the post, with a unique code on it. You’ll need to enter that code into a URL google give you to confirm you’re the rightful owner of the business.
Now you’ve claimed your coffee shop you need to get it to appear in the right searches:
This is all about giving google the best info you can about your coffee shop to make sure it shows your store when someone makes a relevant search. Google is pretty smart, but not magic, so there are lots of basic things you can do to help. Here are 5 tips:
- Choose the right business category. Google asks you (you can see it in the screenshot above) to select a business category, so select “coffee shop”. It’s easy and it tells Google what you are, allowing it to show your result in searches for local coffee shops.
- Enter your website link, opening times and any other info you can: The more information you give google the better. Google will also scan your website for useful clues about your business, so make sure it’s up to date!
- Get reviews. You need quality and quantity! If you want to appear in the best searches, things like “best local coffee shop” or “great coffee near me” then you need to show google you’re great. Encourage your customers to leave reviews.
- Make sure your address and phone number are on your website, Facebook page and other relevant locations, and make sure they match the info you give google. Google will look at this to check the content is correct, it doesn’t want to send people to stores that don’t exist, a common mistake is to use a land line number once and a mobile elsewhere. Don’t fall into this trap.
- Set up a google business listing, add photos and details and link it to your map listing and web page.
If you want more tips on how to optimise your google maps listing take a look at a wide variety here.
And once you get those customers to you the first time, keep them coming back with a great loyalty card app!